Sunday 25 July 2010

practice

just thinking about making 
so many things to cut down on
into fleshy crapness of paint at the moment 
diagrams rock 
trying to do one idea at a time 
some of them are still too many things going on 
but trying to maintain the agency of the diagram and not just be purely formalist though i am interested in the formalism of it - but there has to be the possibility of change - of it causing something 

still so many things to figure out 
i feel as if i am trying to bring the disparate bits of my practice together 
feeling positive about it 

some drawings seem pretty - i'm really unhappy about this 

still got to figure out about border - edges 
i like photography's crop - and like how drawings float in space - but want to try out some lines where they reach the edge of the paper 
this also allows me to bring in the photographic abstracts too - 
how could i make them real? physical? 

reading about modernism or new modernism - not sure what i think - 
i'm happy with how my practice is going so that is the main thing
i'm not interested in being perpetually avant garde - if this has already happened (new modernism)- oh well - I'm not a following fashion 

thought about - what work would i like on my walls - tried to make work for my walls 
I just tried to make modernist infinite fields - interesting as it made me realise that this isn't my practice

created a small book of lines - i'm trying to record as many different lines and arrangement of lines 
keep thinking about statements like "ideas abandon too soon" "lacks rigor" - these are motivational and help reflection 

No comments:

Labels